Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

2014/06/4 Facing forward back fist strike

Muto-sensei, Kon-sensei

Menu

  1. Kihon - basic drills
  2. Kumite - sparring
  3. Kata

Kihon


We did the same basic drills he always has us do.  It would be nice to have something different thrown in there from time to time.  Actually, it is very nice whenever Muto-sensei can't come and we have Kon-sensei, or another sensei come, because the other teachers do it a bit differently.   There is one drill I need to practice at home so I don't feel like such a fool during class and that is adding gyakuzuki after age-uke while going backwards. I had it figured out once, but I need to go over it again because we did it and I couldn't do it.  My position in he room makes it so I can't watch anyone else doing the move.

Hannah and Aspen both made a point of standing behind me where I couldn't see them and after a short while of doing the basic drills, both were gone running around laughing and playing while the rest of the club did drills.  Admittedly, the drilling is not fun.  It is important, but it would be more interesting if it were changed from time to time and if we had a smiling sensei. ;-)

Kumite

We did

  • san-bon kumite (jodan tsuki / age-uke, chudan tsuki / chudan soto uke, mae geri / gedan barai, , 
  • ippon kumite (jodan tsuki / chudan tsuki / mae geri - and you can block and counter anyway you want)
  • ippon jiyu kumite (attacker takes three steps forward, receiver stepping back, then does the same attacks with free blocking and counters just like in ippon kumite)
  • kaeshi waza (Do three strikes or kicks that you want concentrated to upper level / middle level / mae geri.  So you can do three jodan tsuki, or some other strike, I think.  Or three chudan tsuki or some other strike and you can mix in kicks to the same level. When you do the front kick (mae geri) you should do at least one front kick and then two other attacks, either strikes or kicks. The receiver blocks and counters on the last strike/kick)
  • jiyu kumite  - free sparring

Hannah did san-bon-kumite with about four people and then quit.  Aspen can't tolerate her attitude and speaks harshly to her, which doesn't help.  And he doesn't understand that and doesn't care.  Actually, he might understand it, but probably doesn't want her around.  He has a very low tolerance for people who don't follow the rules.   Aspen would not try and spar seriously with me.  I think the size difference makes it difficult for the kids to spar with me, if not intimidating.  The Yamada brothers as well as Krau, always give me lots of advice.  Actually, most of the members are giving me advice.

Advice: When doing a back spin kick, do it as quickly as you can to minimize the amount of time your back is facing your opponent (duh ) .  I still have very little control and although I probably could move a little faster, I might end up on the ground.

Kata - for us lower ranking belts, we beginners (white through green)

Heian Shoda
Heian Nidan
Heian Sandan
Heian Yondan
Heian Godan

Tips: The back fist strike (uraken) used in Heian Yondan and Heian Godan are done in a slightly different stance. In Heian Yondan you do the back fist strike while facing forward, shoulders square forward, and with your knees slightly bent in a cross legged stance (kosa-dachi), with your left foot crossed behind your right. Let's look closer at the two.
Actually, this should be pretty close as he is a black belt and this snapshot was taken from a PDF on the Kata.
And here is a snapshot taken from a pdf file for Heian Godan.
Wait a minute!  That's not a back fist strike! It's not uraken at all! That's morote-uke!  It's a block, not a strike.

I still have much to learn.

I put a bandage on my toe and wrapped it with athletic tape to keep it on and it was OK.  I didn't get stepped on and it didn't bother me much.  I guess I don't use my big toe as much as I thought I would.  Mostly it gets pressure put on it when I am trying to do a pretty front stance.

I am very much out of shape,though.  After three weeks of rest this night's class was a good workout.  I was very tired.  Most of the kids complained about it being too hot but that wasn't a problem for me.  I just sweat a lot and then I'm cool.

My left hamstring injury seems to be getting better.  I cautiously did a few front kicks with it last night and it doesn't seem worse off for it.  I am still going to hang back on doing front kicks with that leg.  I would like to start jogging soon.  I just have to figure out how to jog, do my rehab strength training, and do my rehab stretches too.  It takes over an hour a day just to do the rehab work.  When am I going to run?  In the morning of course.  I just have to get up early enough to get out, run a little, and then do some rehab.  Then I can try and finish rehab at night before bed.  I'll have to do strength training in the morning because it makes me hot and I sweat and then my wife gets mad because we've already had our baths/showers for the night and she says I'm stinky! ;-)

The PDF files from which I took the above snapshots can be found at the Kissai-Kai Karate website here: http://www.kissakikarate.com/